Table of Contents
Welcome to Amplitude! We are invested in your success and wrote this guide to help you setup Amplitude in the quickest and most optimal manner. The Quickstart Guide will walk through the data structure and what data you should send to Amplitude. Specifically, it will cover:
- Instrumentation Pre-work: what you should think about before deciding the what data to send
- Identifying Users: what's required to properly track unique users for your product
- Event Data: what events or user actions you should track
- User Properties & Event Properties: what attributes you should send to upscale your analytics
- Cross Platform Instrumentation vs. Separate Platform Instrumentation
- Using the Amplitude Platform
1. Create an Amplitude Account. Go to https://amplitude.com and sign up for an account. You should be directed to the following web page, where you should enter in the email you wish to associate with your Amplitude account:
2. Create an Organization. You will then be directed to our demo project. If you wish to just explore the demo, click the "Start Exploring" option. If you want to create an organization, click the "I'm Ready" button. This will allow you to create a new organization and within each organization, you will be able to create multiple projects. Your company should have one organization in Amplitude but can have multiple projects within that organization, so the name of your organization should be the name of your company.
3. Create a Project. Once you have created an organization, you will be directed to the Projects page. Here, you can create your projects. Each project in Amplitude will have its own separate API key. For example, you can have one iOS project and one Android project within your organization and have your iOS app and your Android app send data to the respective API key. Important Note: As mentioned in the introduction, we highly recommend creating a test project or a dev environment for each production project in order to test your instrumentation. Click the "Create Project" button to create your first project. You will immediately receive an API key, which you can find directly on the new project's setup page.
4. Send Data to Project. Now, you are ready to begin sending data to Amplitude. Data can be sent to Amplitude in four ways:
- Amplitude SDKs: Find our list of SDKs here.
- Amplitude HTTP API: Use our HTTP API to send server-side event data.
- Segment.io: See Segment / Amplitude Integration for more information.
- mParticle: See mParticle / Amplitude Integration for more information.
After instrumenting Amplitude successfully, you should see data show up immediately in the platform once events have been sent.
5. Create More Projects, not Organizations. Creating a new project and sending data to a new API key does not require creating a new organization. For example, if you now wanted to instrument your Android app in Amplitude after instrumenting your iOS app, you should go to the Settings page and create a new project from there.