Pathfinder shows all of the events (nodes) and sequences of events (paths) that users take within your product during a specified time, measured by event totals. All paths in Pathfinder are tracked within individual sessions. This means if you are sending us events from our HTTP API or through another pipeline, you must send a session_id with the event in order to accurately view the event flows of your product.
Table of Contents
- Chart Control Panel
- Reading the Report
- Hiding Events
- Providing Feedback
- Video Walkthrough
Note: Pathfinder is only available on the Enterprise Plan and currently, custom events are not supported in Pathfinder for Amplitude 2.0. Additionally, Pathfinder replaces our Event Flows feature which is deprecated in Amplitude 2.0.
You can view both outgoing and incoming paths to a specified event, and Pathfinder will show you paths of up to five steps in depth.
- Outgoing: To view the actions or events users take after a given event, select “starting with” in the dropdown menu and then select your starting event.
- Incoming: To view the events users take before a given event, select “ending with” and then select your ending event.
Note: For the rest of this article, we will be detailing an outgoing (“starting with”) event path.
Chart Control Panel
The left module of the chart control panel allows you to pick and choose which events you want to focus on in your Pathfinder report. The default selection is '[Amplitude] Top Events', which will show you all the possible paths coming from the start node you have picked. The dropdown will give you all possible events that occurred after the previous event. If you select a particular event then only that particular node will be highlighted. Pathfinder allows you to see paths of up to five events at a time.
You can also narrow down your paths by segmenting the data by user properties or cohorts by using the right module. You can click on the "Users" dropdown to utilize our account-level reporting feature or use the "+where" clause to segment your users.
You can set a threshold for the minimum size of all rendered nodes. This can be done by changing the “representing at least” percentage in the bottom module of the chart control panel.
Once nodes are rendered, every path between those nodes is displayed. By default, the threshold is set to 5.0%. Using the default threshold would mean two things:
- If an event node is less than 5%, that node and any paths that would have followed are collapsed or hidden. In the below image, the boxed area has no outgoing paths because there are no immediately following nodes that are greater than 5%.
- Similarly, we do not render paths from nodes less than the threshold, meaning these paths will not appear as incoming paths into a rendered node. Instead, these paths would appear as a gray area at the bottom of the node, as denoted by the boxed gray area in the below image.
In addition, you can group a particular event by either an event property or a user property by selecting from the “grouped by” drop down. This helps view each node of the Pathfinder report with more granularity and is particularly useful if you have an event like 'PageView' where event properties provide the information needed to do analyses.
Once you select an event, we will generate all the incoming paths of up to 4 event nodes that meet the following conditions:
- If the event node is an [Amplitude] Start Session, which depends on if you are looking at incoming paths.
- If the node is greater than or equal to the threshold and if the node has an incoming path.
If you click on a particular node, Pathfinder will only highlight paths that lead into and out of that particular node and this is the same functionality as manually selecting that particular event in the left module of the chart control panel. Additionally, the black section of a node denotes all paths where the next event was '[Amplitude] End Session'. In the below image, we verbalize certain sections of the Pathfinder report.
You can also use the date picker to choose a more specific time range to analyze your data within and can switch between "Last", "Between", and "Since".
Saving the Report
You can save and name Pathfinder reports by using the "Save" icon in the top right-hand corner above the chart. Note that you cannot pin Pathfinder reports to dashboards but you can search for them in the Browse Charts section in Amplitude.
If you choose to hide certain events from Pathfinder via your project's settings page, then the path will simply collapse. For example, suppose we have the path:
- Event A -> Event B -> Event C
If you were to hide Event B, the path will collapse to:
- Event A -> Event C
Watch the video here.