Table of Contents
- Custom Legend Labels
- Collaboration (Enterprise)
- Set Monitor
- Switching Projects/Chart Types
- Cache Times
- Video Walkthrough
Click “Create Chart” on the top navigation bar to create a new analysis. Amplitude exists at the organization level, so you can access your data for multiple projects in one consolidated view. This org - project(s) structure allows you to have charts from different projects on one dashboard. To select a project you want for your analysis click the dropdown in the top left corner before you select a chart type.
Next, select the type of chart you would like to create. We have four categories: Know Your Users, Convert Your Users, Retain Your Users, and Monetize.
Custom Legend Labels
You are also able to edit the legend labels on your chart. This is useful if you have applied multiple group bys to a chart and want to rename the legend label to make it more clear what each segment is referring to. For example, here is a chart with multiple group bys applied.
You can edit the legend labels to make the chart more readable. Note that the segment names breakdown data table below the chart will not change to reflect your custom names.
Once a chart is created, click "Save" in the top-right corner.
Once you save a chart, you can add a description to your chart. The chart description text box will appear after you click on the chart title.
You can start a discussion around your metrics right alongside your chart. This is useful for working in teams to deliberate findings. These features are only available to our Enterprise customers.
You can like charts that you want to revisit or access often and you can use the Search tab to search through your favourites.
You can add comments to a saved chart by clicking the "Discuss" button. You can also notify a colleague by typing "@" followed by their name to send them an Amplitude notification.
Propose Charts to Dashboard (Enterprise)
Note: As of 9/25/18, we have deprecated chart suggestions to dashboards.We recommend to set dashboard co-owners instead.
In order to add charts to a dashboard that has an owner other than yourself, click the "More.." button and select the desired charts. Your proposed chart additions will appear at the bottom of the dashboard in a new "Added by others" section. All other users in the organization will be able to see the "Added by others" section. The owner of the dashboard can then choose to accept or reject your proposed chart addition(s).
The dashboard owner will receive a notification in the "Notification Center" and can accept or remove the chart.
The Notification Center is located to the right of the "Create Chart" button. You will receive a notification when someone interacts with one of your charts or mentions you in a discussion.
After a chart is saved, more icons will appear in the top right corner of the chart. The first icon, "More," presents three options:
- Revert: Allows you to go back to the most recently saved version of this chart. You can also use your browser’s back button to undo the most recent edit to your chart.
- Archive: You should archive a chart when the chart becomes irrelevant to your analyses. Users can still search for archived charts in “Search”. Archiving a chart will disable all shared links associated with that chart. However, when the chart is un-archived, the shared links will be reactivated.
- Transfer Ownership: This allows you to change the owner of a chart. Once you transfer your ownership, you will no longer be able to make edits to the saved chart or object. Edits can only be made by the current owner. Admins and Managers can transfer ownership of charts that do not belong to them.
- Create Dynamic Group Property: Note: This option is only available to Enterprise customers who have purchased the Accounts add-on. This option allows you to create a dynamic group property out of the metric you are analyzing in the current chart.
Note: This feature is only available to Enterprise customers who have purchased the Insights add-on and is currently supported on Event Segmentation and Funnel Analysis charts only for daily intervals.
The Set Monitor feature allows you to set up monitoring on KPIs and metrics that matter to you. You can click on the "Set Monitor" icon to create the alert. For more information, see our Insights add-on documentation here.
The "Tour" icon allows users to go through interactive walkthroughs of our charts. Each tutorial will walk through a different flow in a particular chart.
The "Add" button allows you to add your chart to a new or existing dashboard.
The "Copy" icon duplicates the chart so that you can make changes without altering the original chart. You are also able to copy other users' charts in your organization. This will allow you to make edits to the chart without changing the original.
Note: Only the "Download as CSV" option is available to non-Enterprise customers.
"Export" gives you the option to share your chart as a PNG, PDF, CSV, or shared link. Shared link access can be granted and revoked in the Create shared link pop-up window.
Switching Projects/Chart Types
To switch the project that you are viewing, click the project name in the title of the chart and select a different project. We will transform the chart to reflect the data of the newly selected project. The new chart will match the controls of the original chart as closely as possible and will drop any events or properties that the new project does not have instrumented. You can also switch the chart type you are viewing by clicking the chart type name and select a different chart type. You can choose to preserve the events and/or segments you have already added to your current chart.
You can zoom in on charts by dragging diagonally across the chart and creating a rectangle. This will zoom in on a certain section of the chart. You can reset the zoom by clicking the "Reset zoom" button.
Amplitude caches charts and requests. The cache time is dependent on the time interval (daily, weekly, monthly) and the numbers days from the present day. CSV downloads from charts will also be cached.
Below are the cache times for charts. Cache times for dashboards and CSV downloads are twice as long as the times listed below (e.g. 20 minutes, within last 7 days).
Real-time Queries Cache Time:
- 5 minutes, within the last 24 hours
Daily Queries Cache Time:
- 10 minutes, within last 7 days
- 60 minutes, within last 30 days
- 6 hours, greater than last 30 days
Weekly Queries Cache Time:
- 60 minutes, within last 4 weeks
- 6 hours, within last 12 weeks
- 24 hours, greater than last 12 weeks
Monthly Queries Cache Time:
- 6 hours, within last 3 months
- 24 hours, within last 6 months
- 48 hours, greater than last 6 months
Manually Refreshing a Chart
To manually refresh a chart, click the "Refresh" icon in the top left corner.