Like the feature, this documentation is also a Beta.
Note that to access Releases you must also be using the new navigation currently in an open Beta. To opt-in, click the green beaker icon in the top right of your navigation.
A Release is an object in Amplitude that represents a change in your product. It can represent a major update like the launch of a new feature, or a minor patch to fix a small bug. Amplitude creates them for you automatically, but you can also create them manually.
With Releases, Amplitude is continuously listening for a new value for the [Amplitude] Version User Property, we automatically create a "Release". In order for a Release to be created, at least 100 users must be seen on the new Version, and it must follow the following the format of
major.minor.patch where .patch is optional
For example, [Amplitude] Version = 12345 will not automatically create a release, but [Amplitude] Version = 123.45.6 will.
If your product does not use semantic versioning, but you are setting the [Amplitude] Versions User Property, you manually create a Release from the Release Timeline
In the Release creation modal, use the various fields to provide rich metadata about your Release:
- Name: The name of the Release. This is visible on Charts and in the Release Timeline view
- Descriptions: What changed in the Release. This is visible in the Release Timeline view and is helpful content for your team.
- Version: The [Amplitude] Version User property that defines the product change. This field allows Amplitude to show you what new Events were introduced in that Release via the Release Report.
- Release Date: The date the Release was shipped.
- End Date: The end date of the release rollout.
- Platform(s): The [Amplitude] Platform(s) this Release is applicable to.
- Visibility: Whether the Release is visible on all Charts or not.
The Release Timeline serves as a living history of all the product updates your team has shipped over time. It's a chronology of the Releases Amplitude has automatically created, and the ones that have been manually added by your team.
The Release Timeline can be accessed via the link in the left-hand navigation. Use the Project selector to change which project's Releases are shown in the Release Timeline.
At the top right, the Add a Release button allows you to manually add a Release to the timeline.
Viewing Release Reports
From the Release Timeline, you can click on a Release to view the Release Report. A Release Report is a collection of metadata and analysis that Amplitude generates on your behalf
- If new events were seen in that release, we show them in the table in the top right
- Similarly, we generate charts below the "About this release" section to show you how Users are adopting and engaging with new features introduced
- Coming later today will be a table that shows you how breadth of adoption and depth of engagement has changed for your top performed events:
You can also add historical releases and edit them by adding a value for [Amplitude] Version. If new features were introduced there, you should be able to see some of the automated analysis generated on your behalf.
This is an early build of this functionality and we'll be making some improvements over the next couple of weeks.